Saturday, September 6, 2014

Loyola University Archives and Special Collections Internship Overview and Week 1

My name is Daniel Quinlan, I am currently a senior, in my final semester at Loyola University and am studying history. This fall, I will be working every Friday at the Archives and Special Collections department of Loyola University. The archive department is responsible for over 8,000 linear feet of archival collections ranging from faculty and alumni papers, university archives, Catholic collections, and Congressional archives. The Archive department is also home to roughly 11,600 rare books as well as audio, visual, and oral history collections.

As part of my job in the Archives department, I will be surveying, sorting, and maintaining a small collection. In surveying the material, I will have to go through various files, providing a description for each item so that they can be sorted and filed in a way that can be accessed by others. I will also be creating a small exhibit with material from the archives as well as learning to digitize material.

This week is my first week of work. I was given a tour of the archive department and was provided with several different packets to read detailing archive work. These packets provided information how to go about archiving material. They provided information on what to look for when surveying the files, such as dates, important names and places, as well as how to summarize the content in order to sort them and organize them.

For more information about the Archives and Special Collections department at Loyola, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment